10 Ways to Boost Positivity in Minutes
We all have those days when for whatever reason you’re feeling a bit lower than usual and can't quite remember where you left your motivation! First off, it's OK - we all have them. The key is in making sure it doesn't influence the whole day.
So, let the negative self talk go, pause what you 'should' be doing and let's get to work on boosting your positivity...
- Move - There's nothing like high energy, feel good exercise to drown out the blues! I find that dancing around the house works for me every time, but a brisk walk or jog works just as well. Be sure to be active for at least 10 minutes to help those feel good hormones take hold.
- Eat - Enjoy something fresh that will naturally boost your mind and body. Try to avoid anything that will cause your blood sugar to spike otherwise your mood will only come crashing back down.
- Essential Oils - Aromatherapy can have such an impact on your mood. My favourite feel good oils are sweet orange, grapefruit and peppermint. Carry a bottle of your favourite oil with you or try applying pre-blended oils to your pulse points - try Pure Thoughts Strength Pulse Point Oil, a blend of uplifting rosemary and peppermint.
- Re-hydrate - Leave the caffeine and reach for a fresh glass of water - warm water with lemon or fruit tea also work wonders if you’d prefer.
- Plan - Take a look at your day planner, if you feel overwhelmed before you even get started ask yourself - 'if nothing else gets done today what are my 3 main tasks or intentions?' Circle them and make those the focus of your day.
- Breathe - If your mind is racing then a little mindful breathing should help. Sit comfortably and focus on your breath moving in and out of your body. Resist the urge to control it, just experience it coming and going naturally. Let thoughts, emotions and sounds pass by like clouds while you stay present with your breath. In just a couple of minutes you'll feel more present and balanced.
- Gratitude - It's hard to stay feeling low when you take a few minutes to think about all of the things in your life that you’re grateful for. Read more about making developing a gratitude mindset.
- Organise - I find a lot of peace in order and organisation; if you're the same then identify something that's feeling out of balance and take action. It can be something as small as tidying your desk or booking an appointment.
- Take a Break - Stepping back from any situation helps you to gain some perspective. Take some time out for just a few minutes to walk around the block, read, journal or pray.
- Laugh - There's no doubt about it's effect on our health and wellbeing and so when you need to boost positivity go looking for your favourite funny movie clip or recall something that made you laugh recently.
Choosing what feels right for you in the moment is important - sometimes you need to dance it out and other times a moment of reflection is what's needed. Stop and listen, you'll intuitively know what you need.
AUTHOR: LEANNA DOOLIN
Co – Founder of holistic skincare brand, Pure Thoughts and advocate for women finding pause in their day to breathe deeply, give thanks and reconnect to what matters. Loves early mornings, dogs and books that you can’t put down.